Our Holy Fathers John, Euthymius, George and Gabriel of Iviron
They were the founders of the famous Iviron (Georgian) monastery on the Holy Mountain. St John lived in asceticism first in the Lavra of Athanasius, and then founded his own monastery, Iviron. He entered into rest in 998. Euthymius and George translated the Holy Scriptures into Georgian. Euthymius died in 1028 and George in 1066. Gabriel was found worthy to receive the wonderworking icon of the Mother of God which was brought to the monastery by the sea.
* From "The Prologue from Ochrid", by Bishop Nikolai Velimirovic - Lazarica Press - Birmingham 1985
Four Book Edition - Translated by Mother Maria - Dates based on old church calendar.
Please see our calendar for conversion between old
and new calendar dates.
Copyright © 1999-2000 SerbianOrthodoxChurch.net All Rights Reserved.